Saturday, May 21, 2011

4027 N. Kedzie, 60618


Alright, I've reviewed a southside store.....and a further-southside store, Northside-it's your turn!
So, I set my GPS to Kedzie avenue and I happened upon Village Discount! Well, well this is was quite an experience. I don't know if I'm prepared to share this hot spot with the rest of the world!

Alright, here we go with the pros, drumroll please....
PROS:
As many people know, I am a shoe lover. Well, this store is for a shoe-aholic in us all. Once you walk in you are greeted with over THREE long aisles of shoes. There are also a few stray shelves of shoes in that vicinity that kinda just come at you, further overwhelming you with the bombardment of shoes. Here's a pick pic of one of the shoes aisle:

Then, once you find a pair of shoes, what girl doesn't need a purse? Well, guess what? There's a bunch of those as well! I picked up a cute Vera Wang gray shoulder purse (had to put it back bc I didn't have adequate money and it was the purse or the shoes...you can see the bind I was in, right??). The purse aisle is very long, and is covered front and back with purses.
Well, as if it's not enough to have an amazing purse/shoes section, it doesn't stop there. The Women's section has everything. I saw alot of Ann Taylor, Express, Apt 9, and New York & Company items. What's even better is that the clothing is sized for more than just size 2, in fact, many items I couldn't buy as they were too large on me, even up to 2X! (sure doesn't hurt to HAVE to pass on an item bc you're too small for it!Yay, my diet is working)The clothing is very modern, most is in great condition, and the arrangement and organization is all thanks to a staff that is diligent about keeping their store clean. In fact, the store as a whole is clean and well maintained.
This store, like all of the Village Discount stores, also has a "nicer clothes" section which definitely delivers.

Boys/Girls section, well didn't have too much of an opportunity to look there, very crowded with people, which I can only assume means that there were alot of parents there finding some nice clothes for their kids...I guess it doesn't help that I don't have any children of my own, but it looked great, just like the rest of the store.
Initially, I thought that men were out of luck in finding clothing here, as the whole store seemed to be nothing but shoes, purses, and women's clothing (actually that doesn't sound half bad, haha), but THEN I realized that the store is much larger than I thought it was. I think I actually shrieked in excitement when I saw this. This wasn't just the men's section, but the jewerly counter, glass/china, and trinkets area. LOVED IT!! Glasses and plates are nice and organized, and there's alot of really cute designs that I resisted the urge to buy (I have no room in my house! haha)
Annnd on to the Jewelry counter! It's HUGE!, several counters actually. The items behind the counter are highly visible and there's a great selection of items. Also, "Ghost Dad" was on sale, and who doesn't like that movie?
Should I go on? Yes, I think so! There's a section for sport jerseys in the men's area, which is something I have never seen in a thrift store, and I was highly impressed by this. The books are arranged nicely on a few bookshelves, decent amount to choose from, and I was able to pick up a nice hardcover book :D

Finally, I must mention the pricing/tags special. The prices were very reasonable at this thrift store, and I ended up spending $9.11 for the following: Lace Express shirt, New York & Co. Cami, Ann Taylor dress, Charlotte Russe shoes, and a hardcover book. This was thanks in part to the special today which was half off pink, orange, and yellow items. I commend this thrift store for not hiding all of the the sale colors, since I was able to take advantage of this sale on 2 of the items I got (dress & lace shirt). I felt like I got an excellent deal!

Now, the CONS:
The parking lot is tiny. I almost had to street park, but someone was coming out so I was able to claim a spot. Then I went inside looking for a cart and there weren't any. I asked one of the employees and he mumbled something, then pointed to a corner. I went to the corner, and saw-suprise-no carts. I then asked another employee for a cart, and she pointed to a shopping cart with items in it, which I told her had stuff in it. Then she reluctantly gave me her cart. Its never a good thing to feel like an inconvenience while going into a store. The entire staff seemed to have an attitude, almost like the store full of customers was bothering them. But, I will give them credit for a nice, clean, organized store.
Also, I would recommend that they put up more mirrors, as they only have a few near the purses and it's a tight squeeze if you have too many people congregating and trying things on at the same time.

With the cons being so minimal, you know this is a store I will be visiting again. It's a definite find and I want to go back :D
In fact, they're having a memorial day sale next monday, so take advantage and enjoy this fabulous, well organized, and memorable thrift store!

No comments:

Post a Comment